Sunday, August 19, 2012

Kook Afrikaans!


I recently found this cookbook in my mom's kitchen. Now, my mom is by far the best cook I know, especially when it comes to rusks. She makes the best.

I'm sorry to say, but I know that when most people thing of 'traditional Afrikaans' or a 'traditional Afrikaner'; one might think of this:


But most of us are actually pretty stylish; yet we still love the food we grew up eating. My favourite? Koeksisters.


I grew up in Stellenbosch and never really felt part of the 'Afrikaner kultuur' that so many people felt married to. I think there might be more of you out there, which is why I started this blog. 

This is my Afrikaner journey through our ancestors' favourite culinary delights. Think melktert, rusks, koeksisters and groeteboontjiebredie. I'm going to teach myself to make it all!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment